Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Someone Among You Stand Up.


Dear politicians and candidates,

The Australian Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, yesterday announced that there will be a Federal election in September this year. This means that we, the voting public, have about eight months of official election campaigning to endure. Of course, these days you politicians always seem to be in election mode; but I fear that things will only get worse now that it is official.

My opening comments already indicate that I have a somewhat cynical attitude towards Australian politics. In that respect, however, I assure you that I am only reflecting the feelings of the general populace. We have come to expect very little from our politicians. And they usually fail to meet even these minimal expectations. I wish I didn’t feel this way. I wish I felt that our politicians were people whom I could respect, who were genuinely desirous of serving the community. I wish that they were people of vision. I wish they were people who could inspire me, and draw out the best from me. But they are not. You are not.

Will someone among you, among our leaders and potential leaders, please stand up: demonstrate to us your honesty, integrity and vision. Will someone among you please shrug aside the spin doctors, speech writers and media manipulators. I warn you, however: You will have a tough task convincing us that you are sincere. As things stand, be assured that none of us will believe a word that any of you have to say.

Yours in hope
Philip Newey

No comments:

Post a Comment